Menu
Copenhagen / Paris

Shipping an iMac overseas

imacShipping an iMac overseas shouldn’t be complicated, I thought, but it turned out I was sooo wrong. Unfortunately my iMac is 5 cm too wide to fit in the cabin storage on the plane, otherwise I would have brought it up with me when moving to Paris next week. I contacted the airline in order to see if I could check-it in as a fragile item? The answer was yes but that I should be aware of a 1 meter drop and that they don’t guarantee the safety of the items. I also contacted UPS, DHL, TNT and FedEx, they would all take between 3 500 – 6 000 DKK for shipping my iMac 21.5 inch (6 kg) from Copenhagen to Paris…AND I should be aware of 1 meter drop. So I contacted a moving company in Copenhagen, then I would be assured the box wouldn’t be dropped 1 meter. The moving company returned with a quote of 20 000 DKK (!!!). I thought there must have been a mistake, that they thought I was going to move everything in my apartment so I returned and clarified it was only my computer, its dimensions and weight. But their quote was still 20 000 DKK, since it included a driver and a big car. Then I would rather buy a new iMac…

A collegue suggested I could go by bus to Paris from Copenhagen and that way bring my computer with me in a more secured way. It would take 19-22 hours……. just the idea gave me claustrophobic feelings.

My iMac will be sent with a shipping company so I will cross my fingers that the 1 meter drop won’t cause any damages and I will make a backup on an external harddrive just in case. But seriously, why don’t airlines and shipping companies offers special handling when shipping computers? I cannot be the only one in the world moving to another country with a desire of bringing my iMac with me?

About Author

This Paris blog is created and maintained by Solli, a Swedish Expat living in Paris working as a Photographer. When she is not behind the lens or setting off to a new destination she loves to be in the kitchen and play around with whole, organic and seasonal food. In this blog she shares some glimpses of her everyday life as a bonne vivante wherever in the world she might be. Enjoy following her journey through life...

8 Comments

• Pato
    19 August 2013 at 10:56

Sell iMac. Buy Mac mini + good external display in Paris. :-)

• Rolle
    31 August 2013 at 23:21

Yes, sell your iMac – buy a new one in Paris.

• Satya
    06 September 2013 at 10:16

Hi, I would love to know what happened?
    I too am having to also take my iMac 27″ to Asia from Vienna, Austria after a masters degree. I fully understand what you went through- it should be easier!
    The thought of backing up everything and hassle of selling it in a few weeks is also making my head spin. I tried DHL online quote and got about 480-500 euro estimate!

Hope it worked out for you. I’m now looking into options. Sigh.
    Best wishes,

Satya

• Solli Kanani
    06 September 2013 at 23:03

Satya – first of all, I have recieved my iMac so I’m happy it arrived safely :-) Since I was afraid that the box would be dropped here and there I sent it together with 3 other boxes so they were loaded on a pallet and that way I was assured the boxes wouldn’t been thrown or damaged in any kind of way. Hope it will work out for you, Solli

• Msaab
    03 September 2015 at 7:08

What happened to u? I’m at the same situation and didn’t understand the pallet idea! Could u explain it to me or at least a picture:)

Thanks

• Candice
    08 March 2016 at 13:52

Hi Solly

I see this post went up a few years ago.

Do you by any chance know of better options that have come up since then? I need to get my iMac from South Africa to Italy.

• Solli Kanani
    09 March 2016 at 23:52

Hi Candice, unfortunately I had someone driving my iMac by car fr Denmark to Paris. Didn’t find any other solution. But I’ve seen once a girl who brought her iMac onboard..maybe check with some airlines? Good luck!

• Indu
    08 September 2020 at 5:58

hey,
    I am travelling from Asia to Estonia and I am taking my 27″ iMac with me. Since i am flying with KLM, I contacted them and they assured me there will be no issues and they will charge 60 euros for an extra baggage. Now I am in contact with Customs of Estonia to confirm wether this action might incur me more euros.