Paris

Cry when I get older

eiffel-towerNever I thought I would be missing basic things such as unlimited hot water and a warm home heated by hot water radiators.
Yesterday was a nightmare. During the weeked the weather changed drastically in Paris. Last week I was walking in sandals, wearing a dress and no jacket while this weekend I had to cover myself from top to toe. Hello Winter! (by the way..u are too early..we’re still in October!)
In the evening when I happily jumped into the shower it was relaxing having the hot water raining on my cold skin but the joy didn’t last for long. As soon as I started to shampoo my hair there was no more hot water!! Cold water and I was freezing! I only had hot water for less than two minutes…MERDE! Had no other choice than clean my hair in the cold water just to get rid of the shampoo. When I stepped out from my bathroom I felt how cold the floor was. Only a pair of skates was missing and I could be dancing on the ice….
I started to work on my computer…but after ten minutes I gave up…my fingers were too cold. Had no other choice than going to bed. I turned both of my electrical radiators to the maximum effect and under a layer of three duvets I tried to sleep but it was impossible. My feet were like lumps of ice.
I started to think of my lovely rooftop apartment in Copenhagen…about the hot water radiators that I always could count on heating up my entire apartment without making the air dry….the unlimited access I had to hot water, both in the kitchen and in the bathroom…AND the fact that I could sleep with an open window…yes, even in December!
When I woke up in the morning my throat was dry like sandpaper…my head was about to explode of a painful headache….and I just wanted to cry. Especially when I know I’m paying a fortune and feel like I’m living in Siberia when I’m in Paris.
Oh well, I can cry when I get older…I put myself together, went to the boulangerie on my street, bought my viennoise au chocolat and headed to my office. And I also made a note to myself, to buy a humidifier. Because after all I do love Paris…even though the quality of life is beyond what I’m used to.

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

Irina
    15 October 2013 at 10:20

I feel you, dear! Så där kändes det för mig att flytta från Finland till Sverige haha… :)

En grej som har hjälpt mig jättemycket, både i sängen och vid skrivbordet är en varmvattenflaska (värmekudde). Den lösningen förutsätter förstås att man har tillgång till varmt vatten, men det kan man ju fixa med en tekokare eller i en kastrull.

Varmaste kramarna från Sthlm & lycka till med allt!

Solli Kanani
      15 October 2013 at 23:12

Irina – tack vännen :-) Detta tips har jag burit med mig sedan du delade det med mig redan när jag flyttade till Paris 2009. De första nätterna innan jag flyttade till min lägenhet bodde jag ju på det svenska studenthemmet där jag nästan frös ihjäl..men då tipsade du ju om att fylla vattenflaskor med varmt vatten och det räddade mina sömnlösa nätter ;-) Ska göra detsamma nu, sova med mina varmvattenflaskor. Kan ju vara bra att ha en nära till hands vid skrivbordet med…som fingervärmare ;-) Stor kram!!

Pato
    16 October 2013 at 7:32

Oh boy! I felt guilty taking my very hot shower this morning. =( A tip: Instead of getting a humidifier, try boiling water in a big sauce pan and place it next to the bed. The steams will help even though the water will cool over time, yet it might prove to be enough to pass the night. Tip no 2: Be careful where you put your foot when you get out of bed in the morning. =)

Solli Kanani
      27 October 2013 at 23:59

Pato – you should feel guilty ;-) Thanks for the tips to humidify the air..already tried and works great :-)

Maria Lyng
    02 November 2013 at 17:53

I know exactly how you feel. I moved to Paris in mid-August from the lovely Copenhagen (I’m Danish), so I have now also come to terms with the fact that the standards from my apartment in Copenhagen are not being met here. Although I shouldn’t really complain because my cousin’s friends hooked me up with a nice two-bedroom apartment, but I can’t sit next to the windows anymore because of the draft. And I only have a small electrical radiator… But hey, we live in Paris! Yay!
    I love your blog by the way, and I’ve found many great tips and cafés from here. So thank you!

Solli Kanani
      06 November 2013 at 0:03

Maria Lyng – wow, nice to have you here in Paris from Copenhagen :-) Even though Paris got some flaws here and there my love is still unconditional for this wonderful city. But I must say I miss Copenhagen sometimes, it’s definately nr 2 among my favourite cities! Happy to hear you enjoy my blog :-)